May - my favourite month. The weather is usually reliable and there are Bank Holidays. It is also my Birthday month. All good things. I'll miss our traditional camping weekend later this month but otherwise, I am happy at home. Here a few moments of this first week of May.
Still Exploring the local woods and river. We found some good climbing trees for the boys, which they love. There is a deep ditch under the one that you can see in the photo. It added to the general excitement.
Cooking roast vegetable risotto. I had planned an asparagus risotto but wanted more vegetables and I roasted courgettes, peppers, red onion and asparagus in seasoned olive oil. It was delicious.
Celebrating my 50th birthday. I was a funny old day, I had to work and but I still was able to enjoy all the nice things my children and husband organised for me. I felt really loved, not just by my family but also friends. I found several cards and presents on our doorstep, including a Bakewell tart, which was really delicious. I also had many phone calls and two Zoom sessions to celebrate with friends. Crazy! I was exhausted by the end of the day. And full of cake.
Trying out my new Garmin GPS watch, a surprise birthday present from Richard. It is a smartwatch that monitors heart rate, stress levels and sleep and probably bowel function as well but I am only planning to use it when out running so that I can keep an eye on my pace. I don't want to be a slave of the smart watch but I do want to be able to run faster. I am slow, very slow but knowing exactly how slow at any time surely must help.
Enjoying our beautiful garden, front and back. There is so much to see every day and so much to do. I take short breaks during the day and potter around the garden for a bit.

Digging up a much disliked alchemilla (Lady's Mantle) to make space for a few strawberry plants that arrived in the post this week. I can't stand that alchemilla, it is so invasive, pops up everywhere and takes up a lot of space. The roots are like concrete, not fun do dig out. Alas, I persevered and succeeded.
Loving my little quince tree. It is still tiny but it is in blossom. I love the slightly furry leaves and the shape of the leaves, too. The flower petals are a delicate pink on the outside, a creamy white on the inside. Fingers crossed the bees like it and little quincelets will grow.
Looking forward to eating fresh salad and later in the year, courgettes and carrots and whatever else grows. Richard and I shared our first garden artichoke today, it was tiny and very delicious but not very filling.
Feeling overwhelmed with reading I have to do to keep up a fast pace with producing learning material for my courses. I am now two weeks behind schedule and I know I'll have to work this coming weekend to catch-up a little. In fact, I worked all day today while the rest of the country was celebrating VE Day. Alas, all is ready for next week.
Watching "Unforgotten" on Netflix and "The Great British Sewing Bee". Unforgotten is a British crime drama in which DCI Cassie Stuart and DI Sunny Khan solve cold cases. I love this gentle, slow slow series, not too much excitement but plenty of story to mull over. I am not sure if I love the Sewing Bee, it irritates me a bit for reasons I can't put my finger on but of course I'll watch it all the same.
Stepping on far too many pieces of Knex. Alistair loves to build weapons with Knex. I don't know why children are so fascinated by weapons (maybe it is just mine?). He made a cross bow, a pistol and bow & arrow. All fully functional.
Not making anything. I missed creating something with my hands this week. There just hasn't been time but I am optimistic that I can finish my anorak this weekend (just the snaps to do). I also would like to make a t-shirt or two. I have mandarine and dark purple coloured Tencel jersey fabrics that I really want to cut into.
Supporting another local charity this month. I chose a charity that works with care experienced young people that do not have families to rely upon when life gets difficult. The charity offers support with all aspects of life, including accommodation and education and, importantly, mental health.
Listening to Mr Blackbird sing. It is my most favourite birdsong, that early evening celebration of life. Also listening to my two youngest bickering. This is a far less uplifting sound and difficult to ignore.
Planning my first supermarket trip in 8 weeks. Richard hurt his back and can barely move, let alone carry grocery bags. He is drugged up to his eyeballs with pain medication, driving might not be so good either. I am almost excited. I think I'll go to the Lidl in Yoker for a bit of extra excitement. It is quite new and has a generous layout.
Preparing mentally for another few weeks of lockdown. I am good, we all are, if a bit frayed around the edges.
Thanks for visiting today xx




0 Yorumlar