Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Where do you draw the line?

Now, I have no problem with a bit of snobbery. I don't mind paying a little more for craftsmanship. I like noting little details that indicate an item was made with pride in a job well done: joins that are almost invisible, lines that are true, corners that are square, stitches that are even. I don't mind paying a little extra for an exotic material if it enhances functionality, or even if it is just pleasing to the eye without impeding functionality. But there are times even a gear snob like me gets thrown for a bit of a curve. Thursday's Style section in the local cat box liner had an article on "When luxury goods are worth it," and it led off with a Be&D python skin bag that was priced at... $1,930.00.

For a bag.

That you put stuff in.

They explained how carefully stitched the suede lining was, and even showed a picture of the interior of the handbag, which made it quite apparent that there were no gold bricks, freezer bags bulging with uncut cocaine, or bundles of Ben Franklins lurking in the bottom that might account for the price. Neither was the python skin currently attached to a live 28' albino retic, which would, again, go some way towards explaining the nosebleed sticker. Can you imagine putting a used hankie in that thing? Me neither. I'd wind up stuffing it in the trouser pocket of the nearest bystander and explain, "I'm sorry, I can't put snot in my $2,000 purse." I'm sure he'd understand.

Like I said earlier, I like to think I have an eye for nice stuff. I've shelled out serious change for bags or belts or shoes or whatever before. But... $1,930.00? I've got to hand it to them. It takes a lot to set off my "WTF?-o-Meter", and they've done it.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar