I don't know what it is exactly, but I've always loved the cover to The Flash #345.
At the time, seeing something like this on the stands was shocking, especially to a fan of The Flash. I hadn't been collecting comics regularly at the time — I was around 15, perpetually broke and dependent on the diabolical whimsy of the convenience store spinner rack — so I had no idea what was going on. But apparently, The Flash was on trial and someone was unmasking him in court! Holy Hannah!!
The entire storyline spanned 75 issues, and went from the Reverse-Flash murdering Iris (Flash's wife), to Barry Allen's eventual emotional recovery and engagement to Fiona Webb, then to the Flash killing Reverse-Flash in an effort to save Fiona from his late wife's fate! All this was followed up by some lengthy courtroom drama that had all the frothy hallmarks of a soap opera; shadowy figures, a relentless cop out for the truth, plastic surgery, secrets revealed and, of course, dramatic unmaskings.
This cover by Carmine Infantino super-concentrates all of that with a no-frills image, and would be the sort of thing you might see on an old romance comic. The extreme close-up puts your attention right on the drama, which is shared by the people in the background. And while word balloons on covers can really be overdone, this one just helps sell the whole dun-dun-DUNNNN! of the scene. I really like some of the visual cues in this image too, including the flat, brown background that gives the sense of a wood-paneled courtroom, and the wrinkled fabric of The Flash's mask that lets you know you're just seconds away from seeing his secret identity blown. Pretty exciting stuff for such a simple image!
Let me know what you think in the comments!


0 Yorumlar